Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Counseling

I know people have mixed feelings and opinions when it comes to counseling, but I find it beneficial.  Today I was given a "worksheet" persay to help me deal with issues that burden me.  Maybe it could help you too.


Ask:  1. What is on my mind?
                                  my thoughts...
                                  my feelings...
                                  my experiences...
Jot them down one at a time.  Use the feelings list.

2. What are my thoughts towards myself?
Watch out for irrational/negative thinking patterns.  (i.e. All or Nothing Thinking, Black or White, Magnifications/Catastrophying)
Work to adjust your thinking.

3. Make a list of potential responses and/or solutions.
         Ask: What is within my control?
                  What do I need to let go of?
                  What is my responsibility (direct control)?
                  What do I need to do now?
                  What can be prayed about more and decided on later?

4. Work to alleviate stress in healthy ways.


This is supposed to help when I'm stressing out about making decisions and/or dealing with issues.  I'm working on finding healthy ways to deal with problems and negative emotions.  Hopefully the papers I got from counseling today and the my friend gave me Sunday night will help.  And as I do this more, and also grow in my relationship and understanding of Christ, I know it will get better.

2 comments:

  1. I did counseling my first semester sophomore year. It was really helpful to work through and let go of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad :) It has been such a blessing in my life; I found a Christian counselor from my church, and I've seen him the past couple summers.

    ReplyDelete